UPDATE: Special Events Registration
Registration for special events will open November 14, 2017. To add special events to your registration, including RSVP items that have no fee, please log into your registration here using the email address under which you registered and your confirmation number, OR log in to the site as a UGA member, then navigate to the registration form. If you are unable to find your confirmation number, please email the registrar.
PLEASE DO NOT create a new registration.
What does the registration fee cover?
Registration includes the course, syllabus, reception, banquet, mid-morning breaks, shuttle bus to/from the FHL, and participation at SLIG Night at the FHL. Tickets are required for the reception, banquet, and classes offered at SLIG Night, so you will be asked to add them to your registration when we open special events, but no additional fee will be charged for those events. The optional SLIG technology day is not included and will require an additional fee.
Do I need to register early?
In the words of many famous genealogists, "it depends." With limited seating to assure quality instruction time, one can imagine that some courses fill in a matter of minutes. If you are new to SLIG, please take a serious look at which course you are most interested in and strongly consider coming to the registration table right at the beginning - just in case.
How do I register?
There will be two steps to registration. First, when we open on July 8th, the focus is on grab your seat and go. Just enter your information, select your course, finish and pay. No special event choices to slow you down. We will ask you to return in September to make those special events selections. So, review the courses and have both a first and second choice course in mind. Then click on "Registration" and complete the form.
print your confirmation page or write down the email address you used to register and
your "very long" confirmation number so you can return when special events are added.
What if the Course I want is full?
Make sure you return to the "Courses" page and add yourself to the waiting list for that course. We take participants off that list in the order submitted when openings come available.
How do I select the best course for me?
- Please read the description, prerequisites, and course outlines carefully. Some will have homework each night; others have requirements that must be met prior to attending. The day by day outline will then help you determine if the course is for you, outlining exactly what you will learn in each of the 20 class periods that week.
- Consider the Complexity and Focus: courses are (somewhat) numbered and grouped by level of difficulty and topic as follows:
- Intermediate U.S. Research: course 1. If you have been researching for years, but not sure you have a solid foundation, this course is for you. We assume you have skills at this level before taking any other course offered, so looking through the course outline and using it as a check-list is also helpful in determining what you are ready for.
- Regional & International Research: courses 2 through 6. These geographically-based courses assume an intermediate skill level sufficient to begin building a knowledge-base in a specific area.
- Special Topics: courses 7 through 9. Levels vary; some require a knowledge of basic principles; others expect a much higher level of skill.
- Advanced Methodology: course 10. For high-intermediate researchers only. Expect a high level of discussion in class and challenging homework.
- Advanced Hands-On Courses: courses 11 through 13. Requirements vary - read the prerequisites and required reading lists carefully; none are for the early intermediate researcher.
- Advanced Evidence Analysis Practicum: course 14. Completed "Advanced Methodology"? Ready to put your skills to the test? These case studies challenge you to solve them. Most time spent researching; two hours per day in class.
When is On-Site Registration?
On-Site registration will open at 3:00 pm on Sunday, 21 January 2018. A welcome reception will be held that evening at 6:00 pm. Registration will also be open from 7:00 to 8:30 am Monday morning.
Payment is due upon registration. If you choose to pay via credit card, you will be presented a PayPal payment screen. You do not need a PayPal account to pay. If you have any issues with PayPal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you choose to send a check, your check must be received within 14 days of registration or your seat in that course will be released. Checks should be made out to Utah Genealogical Association, and sent to them at PO Box 1144, Salt Lake City, UT 84110.
Members who log into the UGA website through the member portal prior to registration should benefit from having their name and contact information pre-fill on the registration form (not a guarantee) and the fee will be automatically discounted $50. However, if you are unable to log in, don't let that slow you down. Go ahead and register at the non-member rate, then email the SLIG registrar (registrar@SLIG.ugagenealogy.org) to fix it. Note: if you already paid by PayPal, your $50 refund is easy to make via PayPal. If you plan to pay by check, please wait to mail your check once the correct amount is confirmed. Thanks!
Cancellations received by 11:49 pm Mountain Time, November 30, 2017, will receive a refund less the $75 administrative fee. After that date, registrants will receive a printed syllabus by mail, but no refund will be issued.
You will receive a confirmation number upon completion of your registration. You will also receive an email confirmation with this number. Please print it off or write it down. You will need it for future modifications.
You will separately receive a welcome letter. Additional information from your course coordinator may be sent at a later date.
Please refer to the SLIG 2018 Schedule page.
Lodging reservations should be made using the separate form on this website. Dates available for lodging include several days prior to SLIG and a full week following to allow extra time for research.
Should you have any problems or questions, please fee free to contact us: