SLIG Registration FAQ
What does the registration fee cover?
Registration includes the course, print and digital syllabus, reception, banquet, mid-morning breaks, shuttle bus to/from the FHL, and participation at SLIG Night at the FHL. Tickets are required for the reception, banquet,
and classes offered at SLIG Night, so you will be asked to add them to your registration when we open special events, but no additional fee will be charged for those events.
Registration includes the course, print and digital syllabus, special commemoriative brunch, and dinner with keynote.
Registration for each of our virtual programs includes the course and digital materials. Other items, if any, will be noted on the respective program web-page.
What is not covered?
SLIG Technology Day
SLIG Technology Day is not included with SLIG or SLIG Academy tuition; registration will be held separately for this event. Registration for SLIG Extended (consultations or guided research held the week following SLIG) will be held in conjunction
with SLIG (2019) special events, and will require additional fees.
Do I need to register early?
In the words of many famous genealogists, "it depends." With limited seating to assure quality instruction time, one can imagine that some courses fill in a matter of minutes - literally. If you are new to SLIG, please take a serious look at
the courses in which you have the most interest and strongly consider coming to the registration table right at the beginning - just in case.
How do I register?
There Are Three Steps To Registration
- New for 2018 fall and 2019 winter courses: You will need to set up a "SLIG Registration" account prior to registration day (available early June). This will provide a centralized location for you
to manage your registration information for all SLIG programs. Please note: If you are a UGA member, you must use the same email address used on your UGA account to assure the memberdiscount.
- When a SLIG program opens for registration, a "Register Now" button will appear on the SLIG Registration landing page. This will occur on June 16th for two virtual programs, and July 7th for SLIG and SLIG Academy. when we open
on July 7th, the focus will be on "grab your seat and go." Just enter your information, select your course, select any waiting lists on which you wish to be placed, finish and pay. No special event choices to slow you down. There will,
however, be several policies to which you will need to indicate agreement, as well as opt-in choices.
- For SLIG and SLIG Academy only: You will be asked to return in August to make special events selections
Be Prepared For Registration
- For SLIG/Academy: Please review the courses and have both a first and second choice course in mind.
- For All: Please read through all of the SLIG policies prior to registering to assure you can quickly reply to any questions presented.
- If you are a UGA member, please make sure your UGA membership is current prior to registration for any program to assure the member discount may be applied; discounts will not be retroactively extended.
- SLIG: July 7, 2018, 9:00 am MDT
- SLIG Academy: July 7, 2018, 2:00 pm MDT
- SLIG Virtual: each course has a unique registration open date/time
- Advanced Evidence Analysis Practicum: June 16, 11:00 am MDT
- SLIG 2018 participants may register beginning at 9:00 am MDT
- Researching Ancestors from Norway and Denmark: June 16, 2:00 pm MDT
- Intermediate Foundations: TBD September 2018
What if the Course I want is full?
Make sure you select the "Add to Wait List" option to add yourself to the waiting list for that course. Requests are date and time stamped; students are contacted in the order submitted when openings become available. You may add
yourself to mutliple wait lists, but will need to decide to act or pass on each opportunity individually as it is presented.
What are the general SLIG prerequisites and how do I meet them?
- All SLIG courses require an intermediate-level foundation of genealogical research knowledge and skills in order to benefit from the course. This criteria is self-assessed. The new Virtual Intermeidate Foundations course outline might
be used as a personal checklist to assess your preparation level and identify gaps to fill prior to attending SLIG.
- Due to increasing demand for more advanced courses, SLIG no longer offers an intermediate U.S. research course to help new students fulfill the requirement outlined in item 1. If you feel additional education is needed, please consider
taking our new virtual SLIG course, an intermediate course at IGHR or GRIP, or outline a personal education plan using publications, conferences, webinars, and other resources.
How do I select the best course for me?
- Consider personal educational goals. The course descriptions and outlines will help you determine if the course is the right fit for your needs.
- Consider time commitment. Some courses include homework each night. While some is required and some optional, the full value of the course is best realized with completion.
- Review equipment requirements, if any. Some courses require access to a laptop; and some require specific software to be installed prior to the event.
- Consider instruction level and complexity. Courses are grouped by topic rather than level of difficulty; if the course requires more than an intermediate level of research skill, the instruction level should be noted. Additionally, the
course prerequisites will help you determine additional preparation required.
When is On-Site Registration?
On-Site registration will open at 3:00 pm on Sunday, 13 January 2019 and will close for the welcome reception to be held that evening at 6:00 pm. Registration will open again from 7:00 to 8:30 am Monday morning.
On-Site registration will open at 7:30 am on Monday, 21 January 2019.
Payment is due upon registration. If you choose to pay via credit card, you will be presented a PayPal payment screen. You do not need a PayPal account to pay. If you have any issues with PayPal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you choose to send a check, your check must be received within 14 days of registration or your seat in that course will be released. Checks should be made out to Utah Genealogical Association, and sent to them at PO Box 1144,
Salt Lake City, UT 84110.
Members who use the same email used for their UGA membership account to set up their SLIG registration account, and have an active membership eligible for discount on the date of registation will be automatically discounted $50 off the regular
tuition rate for SLIG and SLIG Academy; slightly smaller discounts apply to Virtual courses.
- SLIG and SLIG Academy: Cancellations received by 11:49 pm Mountain Time, November 30, 2018, will receive a refund less a $75 administrative fee. After that date, registrants will receive a printed syllabus by mail, but no refund
will be issued.
- No exceptions can be made for late cancellation or early departure. Fees paid are not transferrable.
- Acknowledgement of this policy, and agreement to abide by it, will be required at the time of registration.
You will receive a confirmation upon completion of your registration.
You may also receive information from your course coordinator concerning homework and other prerequisites in the weeks just prior to SLIG.
Lodging reservations should be made using the separate form on this website. Please refer to the Lodging Information page for further instuctions.
Should you have any problems or questions, please fee free to contact us: