- Saturday, 20 January 2018, 8:30am - 8:30pm
Please review the workshop and class descriptions and schedule at a glance to avoid registration overlap. If you are registered for Tech Day, please proceed to your assigned classroom to obtain Tech Day materials.
- Workshops 8:30am - noon, 1:30 - 3:00pm
- Classes 8:30 - 10:00am, 10:30 - noon; 1:30 - 3:00pm, and 3:30 - 5:00pm
- Evening Mini-Labs and Classes 7:00 - 8:30pm
You can view detailed information regarding Tech Day, which includes class descriptions, and a complete schedule.
- Saturday, 20 January 2018, 7:30am
Please proceed to your assigned classroom at least 15 minutes prior to class.
- Sunday, 21 January 2018, 3:00 - 7:30pm
Pick up your name badge, syllabus, tickets, and other materials in Canyon Rooms, Hilton on the second floor.
- Monday, 22 January 2018, 7:00 - 8:20am
Pick up your name badge, syllabus, tickets, and other materials in the Registration Office, Hilton on the second floor foyer.
New Student Orientation
- Sunday, 21 January 2018, 3:30 - 4:00pm
Get started off on the right foot. Come learn about how to make the most of your SLIG experience. Please don't register for this option if you have attended SLIG previously; seating is limited.
- Sunday, 21 January 2018, 6:00 - 7:30pm
Light hors d'oeuvres, network with friends and start making new ones. Welcome, introductions, and entertainment at 7:00 pm. This is also a great night for groups to assemble right after the reception; meeting rooms available upon request.
General Session Keynote
- Monday, 22 January 2017, 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Welcome, Introduction of Theme and SLIG Business, Keynote Address
General Session Keynote: "Common Threads: Weaving Our Ancestral Tapestries"
Rich Venezia will be presenting this years' keynote address titled "Common Threads: Weaving Our Ancestral Tapestries". Aside from his infectious laugh, Rich has received renown in genealogical circles for his TedTalk Pittsburgh "How to grow Empathy From Uncovering Your Roots" and experience as a member of the research team for two seasons of the PBS show, Genealogy Roadshow. Read more about Rich on the faculty page.
- Open Daily, 9:00am - 6:00pm; closes Friday 1:00pm
The following will be available at SLIG Central for perusing, networking, and relaxing between sessions:
- Maia's Bookstore
- Utah Genealogical Association (UGA)
- SLIG Swag
- Mid-Morning refreshment break (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cider)
- BCG Portfolios
- Room to visit, study, and relax
- Tuesday through Thursday, 4:00 - 9:00pm
- Friday, 4:00 - 6:00pm
Departs in front of the Hilton; drops and picks up in front of the Family History Library.
We realize that researching at the Family History Library is a key part of your SLIG experience. The FHL is a short 3-block walk, but then Salt Lake City blocks are not very short (each one equals 1/8 mile). Therefore, SLIG runs shuttles daily, Tuesday through Friday, after classes, as well as for all scheduled labs and consultations, until the FHL closes at 9:00 pm.
The shuttle ends Friday at 6:00 pm to avoid conflict with the closing banquet.
Ancestry ProGenealogist Networking Event
- Tuesday, 23 January 2018, 5:30 - 7:30pm
Take a short walk or the SLIG shuttle to Ancestry ProGen's nearby offices for an open house with light refreshments and networking.
Please RSVP for a specific bus time by updating your SLIG registration. Buses will depart the Hilton at 5:15, 5:45, and 6:15. Buses will return at 6:00, 6:30, and 7:15 pm with priority given to those who traveled there by bus; other seating as available.The 6:30 and 7:15 return bus will stop at the FHL before returning to the Hilton.
Please visit the sponsors page for more information about Ancestry ProGenealogists.
SLIG Night at the Family History Library
Sponsored by ICAPGen and hosted by the Family History Library
- Wednesday, 24 January 2018, 5:30 - 8:45pm
- Classes and labs taught by ICAPGen and FamilySearch
- Light refreshments
- Relax and research
Limited seating is available; registration is required and will open on Tuesday, November 14th. Pre-registration is limited to one class or lab per person; others may be attended if space is available.
Research at the Archives
- Thursday, 25 January 2018, 4:30 - 7:30pm
Take the SLIG shuttle to the Utah State Archives to enjoy an evening of research and refreshments. The Research Room will be open and staff available to assist as needed. The Research Room will accommodate up to 25 people at a time. Research time will be reserved in one hour sessions. Additional time may be available based on demand. A couple of weeks prior to your visit, the Archives will email you to learn of any records you might want pulled for viewing to help them prepare for your visit.
The archives has arranged for an additional 25 people to participate in the reception and access some records online if demand is high. Please visit their website (link below) to determine whether there might be records you wish to access and request the research room option if so.
Please RSVP for a specific bus time by updating your SLIG registration. Buses will run at 4:20, 5:20, and 6:20 pm.
Additional information about the Archives and their records may be found here.
- Friday, 26 January 2018, 5:30pm
No-host cash bar
Completion Banquet and Awards
- Friday, 26 January 2018, 7:00pm; doors open 6:30pm
Welcome, UGA awards, Contest Winner/door prize announcements, Keynote address
Banquet Keynote: "Deceptive Threads in the Tapestry: The Words of Our Ancestors' English"
John Philip Colleta, PhD, FUGA will be the keynote speaker for the SLIG 2018 banquet. He will present "Deceptive Threads in the Tapestry: The Words of Our Ancestors' English."
The completion celebration banquet will include the annual UGA awards - to include the coveted Silver Tray Award and announcement of the 2018 FUGA (Fellow of UGA), announcements of the themed contest winners/door prizes, a catered meal, and the keynote address. Tickets are required to attend; the cost of the banquet is included with SLIG registration, but RSVP is required; guest tickets are available for an additional fee.
Garlic Studded Pork Loin with Maple Bacon Glaze; Mixed Green Salad with dried cranberries, crumbled feta cheese, candied pecans, and pomegranate vinaigrette; Sour Cream and Chive mashed potatoes, Broccolini with Baby Carrots; Bear Lake Raspberry Cheesecake; Ice Water, Coffee, Tea; Rolls and butter.
Options for those with Dietary Restrictions:
- Diabetic: Pork Loin menu with salad and dessert substitution (plain salad, ranch dressing on the side; fresh berries).
- Gluten Free: Pork Loin menu with dessert substitution (fresh berries and cream); no roll.
- Vegetarian: Roasted Japanese Eggplant, Baby Spinach, Couscous, Crispy Tofu and Red Wine Beet Glaze; regular salad and dessert.
- Vegan: Vegan: Roasted Japanese Eggplant, Baby Spinach, Couscous, Crispy Tofu and Red Wine Beet Glaze; no cheese on the salad, fresh berries for dessert; no roll.
- Nut Allergies: Pork Loin menu with salad substitution (no pecans).
- Lactose-free: Pork Loin menu with salad and dessert substitution (no cheese on the salad; fresh berries); no roll.
- Other Allergies: If you select this option, please email us the items to which you are allergic; we will provide that information to the hotel caterer to accommodate your needs.