UGA presently offers three institute programs:
- Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG)
- Now in its 24th year, SLIG is held in January. It opens with a welcome reception on Sunday evening and closes with a completion banquet on Friday evening, with some special events and time for research in the nearby Family History Library in the evenings.
- The program emphasizes high-intermediate to advanced genealogical education; each course includes 25 or more hours of instruction; some include homework, labs, or consultations.
- SLIG Academy for Professionals (new in 2019)
- This new program focuses on professional development topics not offered at SLIG or elsewhere in a week-long, in-depth format. It will open on the Monday following SLIG, featuring a commemorative event in honor of the life and legacy of the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., and will close with a networking luncheon.
- Each course offers over 20 hours of instruction and consultation; some wil include homework assignments.
- SLIG Virtual
- SLIG Virtual began three years ago with the debut of the Virtual Advanced Evidence Analysis Practicum with Angela Packer McGhie. This highly popular program offers advanced education and challenging research opportunities in a virtual format, where students research one case per week from the comforts of home, then meet online for facilitated discussion and expert instruction.
- SLIG is expanding virtual course offerings beginning in the fall of 2018, with a focus on courses not available frequently at SLIG or in a similar format.
Additionally, SLIG hosts the following:
- SLIG Extended
- Beginning in 2019, SLIG participants will have the option of staying an additional week for guided research and consultation.
- SLIG Tech Day
- This full day of workshops and classes provides an opportunity to advance your genealogy-related technical skills. The second annual event will be held on the Saturday between SLIG and SLIG Academy.
- SLIG Colloquium
- This invitational event is a forum for thought leaders of the industry to discuss topics and challenges of the day. It will continue to be held on the Saturday following SLIG.